A few modellos......
Is it a sketch (modello) or a painting, that is the question.....and one that is often debated by me, with myself !
If I ask other people I get varied replies; the most frequent one is " Once paint is applied to the paper it is a painting...."
But reading notes by the Old Masters such as Cotman, Bright, Stannard, Chrome, De Wint etc; they refer to their "watercolour sketches" ....
So, I think I will continue to do as I have always done and call a completed, detailed work a painting and a preliminary, or less detailed, work a sketch wether it is a watercolour OR a graphite drawing !
Is it a sketch (modello) or a painting, that is the question.....and one that is often debated by me, with myself !
If I ask other people I get varied replies; the most frequent one is " Once paint is applied to the paper it is a painting...."
But reading notes by the Old Masters such as Cotman, Bright, Stannard, Chrome, De Wint etc; they refer to their "watercolour sketches" ....
So, I think I will continue to do as I have always done and call a completed, detailed work a painting and a preliminary, or less detailed, work a sketch wether it is a watercolour OR a graphite drawing !

No comments:
Post a Comment